New York’s World Trade Center has reopened for business more than thirteen years after the September 11 attacks.
The $US3.9 billion building took eight years to build and is approximately 1.2 million square feet and 104 storeys tall making it New York’s tallest skyscraper.
About 200 employees from publishing company Condé Nast started work at the One World Trade Center on Monday and are the first of 3400 workers who will eventually occupy the building.
Condé Nast chief executive Charles Townsend told the
ABC that his company will occupy floors 20 to 44.
"This is a terrific day for Lower Manhattan, a wonderful day for New York City and an absolutely great day for Condé Nast," Mr Townsend said.
One World Trade Center stands on the location where more than 2,700 people perished when hijacked planes slammed into the twin towers on September 11, 2001.
It is directly across from the 9/11 Memorial.
“One World Trade Center serves as a symbol of the resilience of the people of New York,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement as reported by the
“Today, as we open its doors for the first time, we remember that strength and courage will always conquer weakness and cowardice, and that the American spirit, defended by proud New Yorkers, will not be defeated.”
According to the ABC, construction workers who helped the $US3.9 billion tower rise from the rubble, overcoming repeated delays that pushed back the original 2006 completion date, put finishing touches on the building's glass exterior and watched with pride as its first tenants settled in.
The new tower is about 60 per cent leased so far.