A $200 million Sydney redevelopment is planned for the 32 storey, 5-star InterContinental Hotel in Sydney with a development application lodged for a new ballroom and comprehensive hotel upgrade.
The 'State significant' Sydney development is scheduled to create 250 construction jobs and 100 operational jobs should it be approved by NSW Department of Planning.
The proposal also involves a comprehensive upgrade of the rooms, corridors, lobbies, tower facade, services, reception, entries, bars, restaurants, gym, pool, and roof lounge of the InterContinental Hotel which sits on 5,510 sqm, according to documents.
Owned by Mulpha Australia, it is the first time in three decades the property has been upgraded, and will add to the city's conference space with a proposed grand 'Crystal ballroom', complete with a glass wall, giving guests view of Circular Quay and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, extending out over Transport House (above).
All 509 guest rooms will receive an upgrade, with the highlight of the renovations including a new 900 sqm ballroom extending from the 10th floor of the building providing a panorama for guests with views to Circular Quay and the Sydney Harbour Bridge with floor to ceiling glass.
The proposed transformation will require approval from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment due to the hotel's unique heritage which incorporates the former Treasury Building, and marks the most significant improvements to the luxury hotel in over 30 years.
The hotel at 117-119 Macquarie Street includes original facade elements of the 1849-constructed Treasury Building. The design intent is to replace the concrete panels and aluminium windows with a new modern façade comprising a high performance glazed curtain wall system.
Mulpha is Malaysia's largest real estate investor and developer in Australia. Assets in Australia include the world renowned, resort-styled Sanctuary Cove, the Norwest Business Park Sydney, as well as the ultra-luxury private island One&Only Hayman Great Barrier Reef. Mulpha holds a strategic stake in the Aveo Group, Australia's largest owner, operator and manager of retirement communities.
In 1849, just before the gold rush, a new building for the Colonial Treasurer and Auditor was commissioned from the Colonial Architect, Mortimer Lewis. The building, in the former garden of First Government House, was finished in 1851, with two frontages, one to Bridge Street for the Audit Office, the other to Macquarie Street for the Treasury. Its design owed a great deal to the Travellers’ Club of 1829 in London’s Pall Mall. The two separate offices were demarcated by an interior dividing wall. Lewis’s successor, Edmund Blacket, added a coach-house and stables to the north by 1853.