Buckley Vann Planning and Development have lodged an application to Brisbane City Council that seeks approval for a food and drink outlet, function facility and hotel in the iconic heritage-listed building known as Naldham House.
The application covers the former Brisbane Polo Club at 193 Mary Street, Brisbane City. A reconfiguration of a lot (by way of lease) is also sought over both 193 and 197 Mary Street, Brisbane City, to ensure that the new development is contained in a single lease area.
Naldham House is intended to be leased from the current owners (Dexus Property Group) and refurbished as a restaurant, bar and function venue - similar to its recent use by the Polo Club. The project involves:
Specifically, the ground level spaces are proposed to provide a full kitchen and coldroom, and facilities for casual dining for around 150 persons by a mixture of tables and booths.
Level one will be converted to fine dining restaurant use, consisting of approximately 158 person seated capacity. The verandah will be opened for al fresco dining and a second kitchen and coldroom will be constructed.
Upper floor use is proposed to be flexible function space, for either one large or two smaller functions. A retractable wall will enable the use of the space for large or small groups. A third kitchen and coldroom will be included on this level.
The terrace will include an elevated deck structure fronting Felix Street and the adjoining Waterfront Place building and is proposed to provide seating for up to 346 persons. Shade sails will be installed as freestanding structures and are not to be attached to or supported by the Naldham House exterior walls in any way.
If the application is approved, demolition work will have to take place, however the developers have proposed demolition plans that will not have a detrimental impact, or to only have a minimal detrimental impact, and would meet the requirements of an exemption application. The extra care is due to Naldham House's inclusion on the Queensland State Heritage Register and is therefore subject to the provisions of the Queensland Heritage Act 1992.
Naldham House was constructed in 1864 and altered and extended in 1877, 1888 and 1990. It has previously undergone significant refurbishment and adaption in the 90s as part of the Waterfront Place development.