The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
OtherTed TabetThu 18 Oct 18

Heritage Protection for Federation Square ‘Likely’

TUD+ MEMBER CONTENT
e79a4b4e-ef24-42f5-96d4-f9b58b667e58
SHARE
11
print
Print

Melbourne's Federation Square has been recommended for heritage protection, potentially ending Apple's plans to build its controversial flagship store.

The nomination to protect the 16-year-old square was made by the National Trust in July after 12 months of consultation with heritage and architectural experts who collectively determined that "the heritage values of Federation Square are worth protecting".

The Heritage Council now seem highly likely to support Federation Square’s inclusion on the heritage register, having indicated that the site meets six out of eight eligible criteria to be recognised at a state level.

If the landmark is successfully added to the register, Federation Square may still be subject to future development.

The difference being that any proposed changes would be required to consider the site’s architectural and cultural values.

Apple's plans for its flagship store, one of only five in the world, were approved by Premier Daniel Andrews last year, but drew widespread public opposition – with more than 100,000 signatures petitioning against the development.

The original plans were criticised for a lack of public consultation and remarkably redesigned and resubmitted.

Related: Apple Redesigns Controversial Federation Square Store

Apples original plans were criticised for a lack of public consultation and dubbed by some as a "Pizza Hut pagoda", before it was redesigned.


National Trust of Australia chief executive Simon Ambrose said the aim was to ensure there was "appropriate development" in the square which involved community consultation.

“Federation Square is Victoria’s premier civic space and considered a place of historical, cultural and social significance to our state, and an architectural and engineering marvel,” Ambrose said.

“We think the state government and Federation Square management should take pride in this decision, which recognises Federation Square alongside our other great cultural institutions like the NGV, the Arts Centre, and the Sidney Myer Music Bowl.”

The heritage recommendation will now be advertised for 60 days, during which time objections and offers of support can be made, after which time, a final decision about the square's inclusion will be made by the Heritage Council of Victoria.

Related: Will an Apple Store Ruin Federation Square?

Simon Ambrose, CEO of the National Trust of Australia said it was delighted that Heritage Victoria supported its view that Federation Square is a place of significance to all Victorians.


Federation Square's board, which has thrown its full support behind plans for a controversial Apple Store, may still formally oppose Heritage Victoria’s decision.

Apple would need to seek a permit from Heritage Victoria to demolish the existing Yarra building, which houses the Koorie Heritage Trust, to make way for its new store.

In statements following the announcement of the Apple store at Federation Square, the state government proclaimed the flagship store would bring in an additional two million visitors to central Melbourne each year, based on figures provided by the tech-giant.

Documents have now come to light revealing the rushed process behind the approval of the planning amendment for the store.

The push, made by Tourism Minister John Eren, was kept from the public and local council and the efforts to comply with Apple’s demands.

In a letter sent to the Planning Minister Richard in December last year, Eren said "special powers" should be used to fast track the planning amendment as the project was of “state significance” because of the “high visitation numbers that are likely to be generated”.

Council was not informed or consulted on the plans, with the documents showing that this was because the project was “commercial-in-confidence”.

OtherAustraliaMelbourneOther
AUTHOR
Ted Tabet
The Urban Developer - Journalist
More articles by this author
website iconlinkedin icon
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/heritage-approval-likely-for-federation-square