The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
55
print
Print
LegalAna NarvaezWed 13 Mar 19

Laing O’Rourke Wins Reprieve After Licence Suspension

66f1a287-2657-46cb-8f66-368df6baa32a

Construction giant Laing O’Rourke has had its building licence reinstalled by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission with conditions, less than a week after the watchdog revoked its licence.

Laing O’Rourke launched an appeal in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal on Monday, after an investigation revealed that the group had not met Queensland’s minimum financial requirement laws.

The suspension was lifted after Laing O’Rourke demonstrated an increase of $32 million in equity held by the business.

A QBCC spokesperson confirmed that it had reinstated Laing O’Rourke's licence with the condition that the company provide internal management accounts on a monthly basis until its next annual report.

Laing O’Rourke Australia managing director Cathal O’Rourke welcomed the QBCC decision.

“We have undertaken internal restructuring to better demonstrate our asset base to the QBCC,” O’Rourke said.

“We have also demonstrated our improving business profitability, achieved through increased productivity and project performance.”

Related: Laing O’Rourke Appointed to Deliver $955m Central Station Revamp

The fiscal health of Britain’s largest construction company has been under the microscope after the late release of its financial results earlier this year, reporting a loss after tax on its Australia operations of £14.6 million (A$27m).

Laing O’Rourke abandoned the massive Ichthys LNG project in Darwin after a contract dispute left it $187 million in the red. In its annual report, Laing O’Rourke points to incurring “exceptional legal costs” of nearly $6 million on the project in 2017-18.

O’Rourke said the company has no outstanding creditors and a strong cash position.

“We invest millions of dollars into the state’s economy every year and employ hundreds of people locally, and remain committed to our Queensland operations.”

InfrastructureAustraliaConstructionFinanceConstructionProject
AUTHOR
Ana Narvaez
The Urban Developer - Editorial Director
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/laing-orourke-wins-reprieve-after-licence-suspension