The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
OtherRenee McKeownWed 03 Feb 21

‘More Barcelona, Less Gold Coast’: Council Objects to Pace Plans

TUD+ MEMBER CONTENT
98828fd3-bd32-40df-8425-2adec40d0564
SHARE
8
print
Print

A scathing review from Melbourne’s deputy lord mayor is a major setback for Pace Development Group’s quadruple tower plans.

Council took a strong position objecting to the plans by Hayball Architects and the developer for the site at 68-102 and 103 Alfred Street and 87-105 Racecourse Road, North Melbourne.

The 7,557sq m site is one of the largest and earlier applications in the Arden-Macaulay urban renewal area and is expected to set a precedent for design in the area.

The application is for one 9-storey and three 12-storey buildings and is now expected to be reviewed by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The plans include 358 apartments, 5023sq m of commercial space, 1835sq m of childcare, 595sq m retail as well as 542sq m public plaza, a 586sq m private courtyard and shared paths.

Related: Pace's Flemington Racecourse Apartments Move Ahead

▲ Pace Development Group's plans for North Melbourne are expected to set a tone for the area. Image: Hayball Architects

The deputy lord mayor said they don’t want to see another Docklands or Southbank they want a new part of Melbourne with its own distinct identity and character and midrise developments.

“We want to see an area that doesn't just replicate the podium tower structures that we seen in so many other parts of the city,” Reece said.

“To boil it down we want to see more Barcelona and less Gold Coast in Macaulay, we want to see more Copenhagen not Kuala Lumpur here.

“We really want to see projects that knit together the industrial heritage of the Arden-Macaulay precinct with the workers cottages that you see through North Melbourne and Kensington and also links back to the central city.”

Pace did not have any comments on council’s decision but would continue to work to find a solution for the site pending the VCAT proceedings.

The Melbourne-based developer was previously approved to build the tallest approved towers nearby, reaching 11-storeys and also designed by Hayball Architects.

ResidentialAustraliaMelbourneArchitecturePlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Renee McKeown
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/pace-plans-more-barcelona-less-gold-coast-macaulay