The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
5
print
Print
PlanningAna NarvaezFri 15 Mar 19

Triguboff Sues NSW Premier Over Halted Development

bce208dc-c59e-4e6e-be54-2606cc58fb9c

Meriton has launched legal action and a concerted media campaign against NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian in an effort to push through its controversial high-rise proposal in Macquarie Park.

Meriton has issued a summons in the NSW Land and Environment Court seeking to compel the Department of Planning to increase the floor space ratio and height controls at 112 Talavera Road in Macquarie Park.

Meriton amended its original proposal of up to 63-storeys, reducing the height to 42-storeys after receiving 380 objections.

Harry Triguboff accused the government of “moving the goalposts” ahead of the upcoming election.

“Those policies should not suddenly change because the seat of Ryde is in contention at the upcoming election,” he said.

“The whole industry needs some certainty that the rules at the start of the process are going to be the same at the end.”

The state seat of Ryde is held by finance minister Victor Dominello by a comfortable 11.5 per cent margin.

Dominello’s challenger, Ryde’s current mayor Jerome Laxale, rejected the project in December.

Related: Gurner Sues Victorian Planning Minister

Meriton's construction arm, Karimbla Constructions, is suing NSW Premier Berejiklian, Planning Minister Anthony Roberts, Department of Planning secretary Carolyn McNally and the Greater Sydney Commission over the stalled project.Meriton.


Meriton’s media release was accompanied by a UDIA release accusing the government of making “rash announcements” in the lead up to an election.

Both the premier and deputy Liberal leader Dominic Perrottet have said that they will “take the community’s side” on the issue, pointing to the Labor-led Ryde council for stoking over-development.

In an interim report released last week, the Greater Sydney Commission recommended a pause on new approvals in Ryde Council for 12 months to allow for more evidence-based inquiry into development in the area.

Meriton general counsel Joseph Callaghan pointed out that the proposal lodged in May 2017 by the developer had already been endorsed by the Department of Planning on behalf of the Greater Sydney Commission.

In response to community concern and the recommendation of Ryde Council, the premier ordered an “assurance report” in late 2018.

Callaghan said that an issue in the case will be whether the request of the assurance report can impact a planning proposal “as well-advanced as Meriton’s”.

RetailResidentialAustraliado not useParramattaConstructionReal EstatePlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Ana Narvaez
The Urban Developer - Editorial Director
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Dorcas Street project replaces demolished walk-ups with 131 modern apartments, the first step in a multi-stage redev…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/triguboff-sues-nsw-premier-over-halted-development