The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
29
print
Print
ResidentialDinah Lewis BoucherThu 04 Jun 20

Waterloo Estate’s New 3000 Home Proposal

75061b6c-6ee0-4404-869d-5d1d4282cd1f

Plans for the development of up to 3000 new dwellings, comprising 30 per cent social housing has been put forward as part of a new proposal lodged for the Waterloo estate.

The New South Wales Land and Housing Corporation lodged a planning proposal in May with the City of Sydney for the mammoth inner-Sydney project, to rezone the southern portion of the Waterloo site.

Waterloo South, which makes up around 65 per cent of the entire 18-hectare site, represents the first of three stages in the state’s proposed redevelopment plans.

Waterloo south includes land bounded by Cope, Raglan, George, Wellington, Gibson, Kellick, Pitt and McEvoy streets, and has an approximate site area of 12.32 hectares.

The state government's masterplan, released in January last year, attracted widespread criticism from council, residents and public housing advocates.

“Over the coming months, our staff will rigorously assess the proposal and put a recommendation to the public for consultation,” Lord Mayor Clover Moore said on the latest proposal.

“As we begin to recover from the Covid-19 pandemic, this redevelopment offers the opportunity for more social and affordable housing in the inner city, while also boosting jobs in the construction sector.”

▲The Proposal represents the first of three stages in the NSW Government’s proposed redevelopment plans - Waterloo South, Waterloo Central and Waterloo North.


The masterplan was revised following community and City of Sydney feedback, with city mayor Clover Moore describing the project as an example of “gross overdevelopment”.

Buildings have been reduced from 40 to 30 levels, with the City of Sydney stipulating new buildings are between seven to nine storeys, with 12 to 13-storey buildings around the major park.

Minister for housing Melinda Pavey said the latest proposal comprises around 3000 new properties to be developed, with 30 per cent allocated for social housing, and more than two hectares of open space.

“The proposal will include an additional 100 new social housing dwellings in the area,” Pavey said.

The Waterloo project is expected to comprise a mixture of social, affordable and private housing, and is the largest project in LAHC’s $22 billion Communities Plus program—in which private housing is built on public land to fund the upgrade or replacement of public housing.

▲ Plans for Waterloo South


“By deconcentrating disadvantage, we can breathe new life into local economies to reenergise social housing to create vibrant communities, not just buildings,” Pavey said.

The project is located by the Waterloo Metro Station, slated to open in 2024.

City of Sydney will now assess the documents, put it on public exhibition, prior to determination.

Related: Four Residential Towers Approved At Waterloo Metro Quarter

ResidentialAustraliado not usePlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Dinah Lewis Boucher
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/waterloo-estates-new-3000-home-proposal