The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
6
print
Print
GovernmentDinah Lewis BoucherMon 11 Feb 19

Government’s $662m Boost Ahead of Aged Care Royal Commission

389cd965-b8e8-4bfb-8ed9-3e599a72bd34

More than half-a-billion dollars has been committed by the federal government to support aged-care funding, with the announcement coming one day before the start of the aged care royal commission which is set to place the industry under the microscope.

Scott Morrison said the $662 million package will be spent across a range of initiatives, including $282 million to help support up to 10,000 people continue living in their own homes for longer.

While $320 million will go directly towards aged care providers.

The funds will be spread over a range of aged care facilities, including care for veterans with mental health conditions.

Related: Ozcare Lodges Plans for $200m Aged-Care Facility

The commission has been described as "a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a better system of care for elderly Australians" by Royal Commissioners Richard Tracey and Lynelle Briggs (lead image).


Disturbing cases of elderly abuse in aged care services prompted the Royal Commission, which heard its first witness today.

Aged and Community Services Australia (ACSA) chief executive Patricia Sparrow expects the inquiry to shine a light on many complex challenges that have previously not been talked about.

“It’s hard for many of us to talk about ageing, but that’s what we need to do as a nation if we are going to improve the system and make it sustainable into the future,” Sparrow said.

Stocks in aged care providers dived when the announcement of the Royal Commission into the aged care sector was made by the prime minister in September last year.

ASX-listed aged care providers Regis, Estia, Japara and Aveo lost nearly $500 million in combined market value on business close the day following the announcement, with stocks tumbling as much as 21 per cent.

The sector provides services to more than 1.3 million Australians, with 240,000 people currently in aged care.

Aged Care minister Ken Wyatt said this latest plan is “outside of what will come from the Royal Commission”.

The latest funding announcement comes after the government’s $550 million in new funding pledged in December.

That package was for elderly Australians with high-level care needs, and also included 10,000 home-care packages, although the latest announcement covers all care levels.

Retirement & Aged CareAustraliaBrisbaneMelbournePerthSector
AUTHOR
Dinah Lewis Boucher
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/governments-662m-aged-care-boost-ahead-of-royal-commission